Forgive? But theft was the one unforgivable sin, the common denominator of all sins. When you kill a man, you steal a life. You steal his wife’s right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone’s right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness. There is no act more wretched than stealing. Hadn’t Baba sat me on his lap and said those words to me? Then how could he just forgive Hassan? And if Baba could forgive that, then why couldn’t he forgive me for not being the son he’d always wanted? Why –
- Amir decides “one of us had to go”
Amir is feeling so much guilt and he wants to get rid of Hassan from his life so that feelings of guilt all dissapear.
- Amir says “then i understood : This was Hassan’s final sacrifice for me” – explain
Hassan is so loyal to Amir that he will do anything to protect him. Everyone knows that Hassan would never lie so they believe him
- Hassan says that he did steal
- Explain Amir’s thoughts and feelings in the above quote.Amir says this because every-time he sees Hassan he gets reminded of his own guilt and his cowerdness from the day Hasan got raped. Amir needs one of them to go so he can get closure and doesn’t have to put up with the awkwardness looming in the air.
- Why did Hassan say he had stolen the watch?
Hassan said he stole the watch because
- Why is Baba brought to tears by Ali and Hassan leaving?